Turn your ideas about Dutch ovens upside down!
Dust off that heavy old pot and turn it into a mobile wood fired oven for baking breads, pizzas and other dishes outdoors. This course shows you how to make an insulated oven base that takes up very little room, so you can assemble your portable oven and light your cooking fire in the tiniest backyard, on the wildest beach, or at your favourite campsite.
You will learn how to:
- Construct an insulated board base for the hearth.
- Assemble a portable hearth using the board base and refractory bricks.
- Choose the right cast iron Dutch oven to complete the portable wood fired oven.
- Build, light and control the appropriate fire for baking pizza or bread.
- Take your portable wood fired oven to the shore, the hills, the river or your own backyard.
- Bake without leaving a trace on the environment..
- Make professional bread and pizza dough and bake them both to perfection.
- Use your Dutch oven to bake brilliant breads and pizzas in your domestic electric oven too!
What you will need:
- Basic carpentry skills will be helpful
- Tools required: a power screwdriver, a saw and a tape measure.
- Basic materials: vermiculite board, wood, refractory bricks
- Cast iron pot with lid (Dutch oven), baker's peel (bbq chimney starter optional)
Frequently Asked Questions
Born in Dalmatia, Croatia, Dragan was brought up cooking under the 'bell' (peka), and has adapted this traditional technique so that anyone with access to the outdoors can use it too. You don't need to spend a fortune, you don't need to fill your yard (or anywhere else) with concrete; all you need is a little insight, and you'll have a LOT of fun!
If you're interested in off-grid lifestyles, or fancy doing something a bit different this weekend - this course is for you.
Get yourself enrolled now, and start planning that pizza party!